Rachael McCallum's Unicorn Spew,

Rachael McCallum's UnicornSpew ~The online journal of Artness as-it-happens.


Sunday 11 August 2013

My Red Orange Fiestaware

My Red Orange Fiestaware by emmieann16
My Red Orange Fiestaware, a photo by emmieann16 on Flickr.

THis isnt mine, but this 1930's type of tableware (glazed with uranium oxide for the red orange colour) is still a radioactive product that if seen in a flea market should be avoided. Collect if you dare.

The connotations of orange in ceramics I can apply to my own work- the dangerous quality of the materials are alarming in the natural and cultural world.

Perhaps I will exaggerate this by using glowing glazes so to really emphasize the natural/unnatural ability of the materials....

It is to think about.... :3

No comments:

Post a Comment