Rachael McCallum's Unicorn Spew,

Rachael McCallum's UnicornSpew ~The online journal of Artness as-it-happens.


Friday 26 September 2014

I have a theory

Ok so I have a theory that clay is always moving,  twisting and absorbing. In my head its like a really stiff sponge. I imagine that the glaze and glass can tighten the outside surface- sealing and cementing the sponge.
When its a slab of clay canvas and I only glaze one side - I am pretty sure that a crack is going to happen where the clay is thinned and the tension is sharp with a tight and crazed glaze. This kind of crack is one that happens after firing when the clay is absorbing the water of the air and the day.... not one necessarily about the temperature! 
And so to counteract this potential weakness , I have started playing with resin - one that will absorb into the clays and be the room temperature glaze that balances the tension. By doing this I have a good feeling the piece is stronger and more resistant to knocks.... and it is yet another layer of chemistry to explore !

Although the synthetic nature of plastic does not bode well with my health.... I feel like synthetic works made of plastics are in a way cheating from the true and honest chemistry of ceramics.... but I have many more experiments to do before I start glazing both sides of the painting!

(It is an idea to play with for sure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment