Rachael McCallum's Unicorn Spew,

Rachael McCallum's UnicornSpew ~The online journal of Artness as-it-happens.


Friday 1 February 2013

Lime trumpet

Lime trumpet is the epitome of luck.
This piece came to life because I stumbled to find a collection of clay discard and saved it, hoping the the hole that was the trumpet shape would one day become a window of glaze. One day close to crunch time,  a hero stepped in and gave me some fibre for the glaze to fuse to,  instead of the shelf,  and thus I was able to mix and paint and set up the glazes so that they could mature in the kiln to a beautiful state. The colours are bright yet alerting- which I find good because it is quite fragile. The window required a very slow cooling, and what I allowed wasn't slow enough I observed from the slight crack.  But luckily, the day before the exhibition,  those was ready for show and it is proof that glaze is the feature and clay is the frame!
I even think that the hanging device is now a part of it, its industrial aesthetic contrasts subtly.

No comments:

Post a Comment